1 1/2 lbs stew meat or top round roast cut into cubes
1 yellow onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper diced
1 TBSP cooking oil
1 TBSP unsalted butter
1 TBSP Hungarian sweet paprika
2 TBSP all purpose flour
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 TBSP tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
Egg noodles or Spaetzle for serving
How to make it
Pat beef dry and generously season with salt and pepper.
2. Melt butter in the oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan over high heat. Brown the beef on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes, then remove beef with a slotted spoon and set aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the peppers and onions to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the flour and paprika and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add the tomato paste and beef broth and scrape the pan releasing any bits that may be stuck to the bottom.
5. Add the beef to the slow cooker and pour the mixture from the pan over top of the beef making sure to get all the liquid and veggies scraped from the pan.
6. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
7. Prepare your noodles or Spaetzle just before beef is finished cooking.
8. Remove the lid from the slow cooker and stir in the sour cream. Serve over top of the noodles.